The Government College of Engineering Karunagappally (CEK) is a public institute of engineering and technology in Karunagappally, in the north-west of Kollam district, Kerala, India. Established in 1999 by the Government of Kerala, it is the second engineering college in Kollam district and the fourth engineering college under the aegis of the state government's Institute of Human Resources Development in Electronics.
Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP) was envisaged in 2003 as a long term Programme of about 10-12 years duration to be implemented in 3 phases for transformation of the Technical Education System in India. Goal of TEQIP is to scale up and support ongoing efforts of the Government of India to improve quality of Technical Education and enhance existing capacities of the institutions to become dynamic, demand driven, quality conscious, efficient and forward looking, responsive to rapid economic and technological developments occurring at the local, State, National and International levels. It has a clear focus on the objectives to improve the overall quality of existing Engineering Education.
- Strengthening institutions to produce high quality Engineers for better employability.
- Scaling up Postgraduate Education and demand driven Research Development and Innovation.
- Establishing Centres of Excellence for focused applicable research.
- Training of faculty for effective Teaching, and
- Enhancing Institutional and System Management effectiveness.
College of Engineering Karunagappally has been selected in TEQIP II under component 1, sub-component 1.1 for Strengthening institutions to improve learning outcomes and employability of graduates